Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Father's Day

...I know it's late and i was supposed to post this on sunday but it's hard to get online on weekend when hubby's around :) so my tea time tuesday submission this week is all about my dad (eh? what's that got to do with father's day?) oh well...

It's been 9 years, 4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days since my beloved papa went to heaven in 2002. Not a day goes by without me missing him, still wishing he was still alive.


He was a hardworker, a loyal and responsible man and the wisest person i've ever known and i'm so fortunate and grateful to be his daughter. He was a journalist and though he rarely home coz he worked too hard for us but when he was he always tried his best to spend alot of time with me and my 4 siblings. He taught me alot about life by showing me himself, i wont write too long as i dont think one page would be enough for me to describe what kind of man he was.

in the span of more than 10 years he had 3 strokes, the first one he was fortunate enough to recover, nothing serious or so we thought back then and i was still in junior high, the 2nd one made him half paralyzed, he could hardly walk but he was so determined to get better with lots of therapy and he even undergone an alternative therapy, it was a miracle that he could walk again and went back to work, despite our protests and asked him to stay at our countryside house, he couldn't sit still, he transformed the the land we had in the countryside into a farm, grew veggies to be sold, but when i graduated and spent more time abroad to study, I was in Singapore when it happened, he had a third storke, this time with other complications, heart attack and kidney failure. After two weeks in the ICU he passed away. I was by his side the day before as they only allowed one person to stay overnight and me and my other siblings took turn and that day he opened his eyes for a few mins, he smiled as if to say it'll be allright but i guess i knew it wont.


It's still hard to find the words to express how i feel, so many things i wanted to say, things that i regret not saying or doing,things i took for granted.. but i know he's still in alive in my heart or watches over me from up there. I made one of his favorite cake, Banana cake wrapped in banana leaf (Recipe click HERE. it's abit hard sometimes to find ingredients for some indonesian delicacies so I had to improvise and sometimes fortunate enough to find some stuff in Asian/Chinese shops here. It doesnt look like the real thing but well the taste is similar enough :)

My dad used to love this with his afternoon tea, I regretted not to learn how to make this from my mom but oh well...at least i used to accompany him eating it and drinking tea with him. well anyways...I'd better stop writing about him as it makes me teary eyed ...sooo...onto something cheery now!


I bought this mug for my father in law, hubby says it would make him laugh..which it does! I really love hubby's father, he's so funny and kind to me, and his birthday is only one day after mine on the same month too! he used to work in a merchant ship, travelled around the world. He loved to share his stories with me and we became drinking partners as he loves gin and tonic like i do! He's not feeling well recently and I always pray for his health as i really really love him! always hug and kiss me with warmth everytime we meet, always on my side when hubby teased me and always winked in a cheeky way to make me smile!

We had a nice lunch at hubby's parents followed by a game of chinese chequers that my mother in law still has it as it was a gift that her late father gave her when she was a child, to think that my mother in law's age is now over 70 years old! but of course i won all the time though i've never played it before hehe


Sorry for a non related tea post today but if any consolation, i'm drinking tea while typing this hehe. Happy Father's Day too all fathers in the world!

Have a Tealicious Time!

Linking to:



Rose Chintz Cottage

Sweetology101

12 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, thank you for your post today, very moving. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an absolutely touching post in tribute to your papa. he is looking down so proud of you I am sure. How soft and what a kind heart you have. I love your tea post today. Sharing memories heals us and let's us always feel what sometimes we kept locked away. It is ok to cry. Hugs from Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, you dad sounds like he was an amazing man. You've actually made shed a tear as felt the same on fathers day as my dad passed away from cancer 13 years ago. Im sure he has a hand in my booting as he was a boot sale fiend too ;o)

    Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very sweet and touching post Susan! I'm lucky that my dad is still around and in good health, he's not even 70 yet. I'm sure your dad knew how loved he was by you:)

    It's nice having good in-laws isn't it? I adore mine too but they're 2 hours away and Kyran had to work so we weren't able to spend the day with him.

    Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day, Susan...your tribute to your father was most poignant and sweet. You painted a beautiful picture of him, and he was most likely filled with love as you wrote it. Love is what connects us all in every realm - is it not? You have so much to say, would you think about writing a story about your dad? It would be something your whole family could enjoy.

    I think it was sweet of you to make his favorite tea dessert. Even now you are a good daughter - loving and considerate. I am glad that you and your in-laws have such a loving relationship. They sound like very nice people. Thanks for sharing all the photos. It was nice to have a cup of tea (which I actually am having at the moment)and 'hear' all about your dad and your experiences.

    Ta-ta for now,
    Marianne xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tribute to your father and your father in law (love the mug you got for him). Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dad was a wonderful person, no wonder you miss him so much. Lovely post today, thanks for sharing.

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. But your post does mention tea...so that is good!
    Beautiful memory of your father. I am so glad your father in law is so good to you!
    Thank you so much for sharing your lovely post with us.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,
    Your tribute to your father is very touching. I'm sure he would be very proud of you. Thank you for stopping by to have tea with me and leaving your nice comment. Have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan, firstly I just wanted to say what a lovely tribute to your dad, it was very moving and he sounds like he was the best kind of man. I'm so sorry he's not still with you.

    Second, I have some info about the swap on my blog. You might have been wondering what happened to your swap partner Miss Daisy Crafts' blog. She just emailed me and told me she'd haf loads of blogger problems and had to delete it. She'd also deleted it without reading my comment saying you were her swap partner. Anyway, she is now posting as Jane, and has set up a new blog called http://apocketfullofdaisys.blogspot.com/ so you can get in touch with her there, or email me at charityshopqueen@gmail.com for her email address. Sorry about this - I only just found out. Any problems let me know

    Lakota xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your heart. I understand. My father died June 28, 2000, will be 11 years last week. I sniffled on and off all day on Father's Day, happy memories being recalled but still the deep longing to be able to hug my dad one more time. I lost my hearing at 39 and for the next 13 years could not talk on the phone or hear my dad's voice as we lived 1500 miles apart. Then I had a technical miracle of a cochlear implant in Oct 1999 and in March 2000 my hubby and I went to see my dad and mom as dad was very ill in the hospital. As I sat by his bedside and he woke up, blinked at me twice and then said, "I love you, 3x. Those were the first words I had heard from my dad in 13 years. On Father's day 2000 we called the hospital and a wonderfully kind nurse told us to call back in 10 min as she would run to my dad's room and hold the phone to his ear so he could talk to me. I told dad he was and always will be my hero and hear his voice filled with love. Dad a few weeks later, just before we were due to go back. So I truly undersand you sharing this post. We are all connected by the love we hold in our hearts and you my dear have a beautiful, gentle, loving heart. A gift from your papa. Yes, he will always live on in you. Blessings. I came by way of Tricia's tea party today. I am Lynn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...